Sunday, August 16, 2009

Grandma's bench

My next project is to hook a new cover for our computer bench. It was a bench that belonged to my Grandma Larson so I figured it should have something that reminded me of her. 


Three things came to mind right away, chocolate chip cookies, geraniums and lady bugs. A stool that you sit on did not seem like the best place to hook large brown circles with black spots (cookies). I drew a blank about a design with a geranium so I knew it had to be lady bugs. This rug below is one of my all time favorite hooked rugs made by one of the women in my California Chapter- I LOVE IT! 


I wanted to use this idea but taylor it to a stool. I took a sketch book to karate and sketched out several rugs... but this was my favorite.

I drew it on poster board and played with different color options for the background.

Traced the pattern on to red dot and then onto monks cloth.

I did not have any greens that I liked for this project so Maralou invited me up to her house yesterday to look through her wool (I was in heaven... she has GREAT wool). I came home with everything I needed to get started. 

Although I had tons to do today I did manage to get a little hooked and I'm loving it! I think my background may be a little light so I tea stained some of it to make it more interesting. After the kids go to bed I am hoping to make some serious progress.



4 comments:

Tasha said...

What a great idea to cover the bench, and you are right, choc chip cookies may have looked too stool-ish (how punny am I?) for a chair. I love yhe lady bugs. Can you use any woll you find? Like a wool suit or skirt or pants? This is so interesting to me. So glad you quickly found a hooker in Oregon to work on projects with! 2 years in Logan and I haven't found anyone to project with. Everyone has so many kids I guess...

Chanel Palmer said...

Tasha- You need to use 100% wool and yes I have used a lot of salvaged wool from thrift stores. With this particular project it's all new wool. When finding wool the important thing is the thickness if it's too thin (like shirt material) to too thick (like a blanket) it will not work. The best wool for hooking is like a felted weight.

Suzanne said...

Red dot...is that the stuff I use when I am creating a pattern for clothes?

I know this is going to be lovely.

Chanel Palmer said...

Suzanne- Yes it's the exact same stuff. It is really for making clothes but it works so well to trace patterns.