Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rebecca Knudsen

I have purchased 2 books on rug hooking. I have checked out all 5 of the rug hooking books at our library and I have spent hours looking at images of rug patterns and hooked rugs. I love the idea and the look of the hooking but after looking at so many, I realized that most of the patterns follow the same rules. It's hard to explain but the majority of rugs that I have seen look like they were designed by the same 3 artists. Most of the rugs are square or round, but I did see a few rebels that hooked unusual things like a stool or a 3 dimensional pineapple.

I can appreciate these rugs in their own way but none of them inspired me like the photos of Rebecca Knudsen's rugs. She is an amazing artist that has posted photos of some of her rugs on her blog. Wow. She has her own wonderful style and I love that her rugs are so personal. She uses symbols, sayings and scriptures to tell the story. I love that the shape of the rug is determined by the image. I love that she hooks text in cursive. I love her rugs! (Although it seems like an insult to refer to them as rugs, they are pieces of fine art). It completely changed the way I thought about hooking. It made it so much more personal and inspired me to find my own style and not follow someone else's pattern. I immediately started sketching and coming up with ideas of what I want to create.




These 3 images below are portraits of her children that she made as gifts for each of her kids.


look at the details!

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Chanel, I love your beehive rug! This is so fun to see you really making this happen. YOU are inspiring.