Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dying with Carla

Our Chapter paid to have a color expert come teach us about color and dying. I know that color is my weak spot so I was so excited for this class. We discussed color, primary, secondary, aggressive, receding colors. She explained in detail the differences between hue, tint, tone, intensity and chroma and value.  We learned about color and how a color wheel works for over an hour. Haley was "board out of her mind" so I drove her home quickly and then ran back to class.

The second half of the meeting she taught us how to dye using different techniques. She showed how to confetti dye, dip dye, dull shades and how to ultimately get the color you want. I was completely fascinated. 



After taking this class I realized how color deficient I am. I will go about designing my rugs and colors in a completely different way from now on. 

She brought samples of rugs she has made. I LOVED that she finishes her rugs like a binding on a quilt with wool- I know how to do that!

You really had to see these rugs up close to appreciate what a master of color she is. 

Oh, I have so much to learn and so far to go, but I am loving the process!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I fly by the seat of my pants as far as color is concerned. I'd be curious to hear what changes you'll make in future projects with your color selection.

Chanel Palmer said...

Oh my gosh, where to start?

She spent a lot of time taking about value(how dark or light a color is). She said that the problem people usually have is not with color but value of color used. I green leaves are the same value as the blue background so they have very little contrast, I want to make them darker.

She talked about high contrast areas (where your eye goes 1st) and low contrast areas. I think I am lacking a good high contrast area in the center of the rug. I may take the gold I a using in the outer border and rehook the outline of the hive for more contrast.

She said that if you want to over dye a color to tame it town, that brown is more complimentary then using black or grey.

She talked about using your brightest color on the smallest areas to make them pop.

I wish I had over dyed my blue background with another color, to give it more texture and interest.

Also I think I am going to add another border (about 1-2 inches around the outside of the dark plaid I used for the letters.

Crazy... but I am enjoying the learning process as much as the product so it's all good!

Suzanne said...

That's really interesting. I pulled up the picture of the beehive and looked at it side by side with your comments. It looks good right now but I bet you will work with it and make it even better.