Friday, April 3, 2009

A little break from the bee hive

My good friend Stephanie just had a baby and I wanted to make something for her. She (and her husband) are great quilters so I did not want to do a quilt.  Honestly since I have started hooking, I have not quilted anything so it was not hard to decide to hook something for her new little girl.

I used a fairly simple pattern but then dyed the wool super bright almost crayon like colors.  It was really fun to hook something so bright. 

I loved the idea I heard from the color class I attended. She said that you should hook a small portion of each part of the rug before you continue to check the colors together.  Such a great idea- it's much easier to unhook one line then a whole section!


After I was done hooking it, I blocked it by putting a moist towel over the top of it and ironing it with high steam. Then I let it lay flat overnight to fully dry.


Once it was dry, I found a groovy trim to sew around the pillow. I thought this was the kind of thing that a kid would like to touch and play with.  


I LOVE polka dots, so of course the back of the pillow was a no-brainer.



I asked Lucy if she thought Jocelyn would like it and she said "No... I like it, will you make one for me?" I am really happy with the way it turned out and happy to give it to such a beautiful little baby.


2 comments:

Suzanne said...

How long does it take to hook a project this size?

It's sweet as can be and will grow with her.

Tasha said...

That is beautiful Chanel! You are so talented. What a treasure for that sweet baby to have.