Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hooking in the park

Exactly a year ago I learned about traditional rug hooking from women demonstrating it at the park. Today it all came full circle as I got to be one of those women sitting in the park teaching others how to hook.

It was so much fun!

Ruby was excited to come and hook on her bunny. She was so good about letting other children learn and practice hooking on her frame.

Ruby with Sandy, the hooker that I met in the park a year ago that taught me about hooking.

Haley hung out and hooked with our friend Laurie. Haley has decided that hooking is boring and she wants to stick with crochet instead... but she loves attending for the social interactions with all the "sweet grandma's". Eventhough she had a frame on her lap, I,m not sure that she actually pulled any loops.

My friend Stephanie came by
There were so many beautiful rugs, I am ashamed to say that I did not take that many pictures of the rugs displayed, not even my own. It was so fun to sit there hooking and see someone go over to my rug and say "Ohh, I like this one". The proud hooker in my wanted to stand up and say "That's mine!", but I sat quietly and smiled.

Here are the few photos I did take of rugs.


This is a detail shot of one of my favorite rugs ever. She gave me the pattern to make it so I wanted a close up of how she did her background. She may be 92, but she is a master hooker!


I had so much fun and really love these ladies, I am going to miss them terrabley when we move.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Walker said something important to me today: "Mom, we take pictures so we can remember." You are storing up memories as we speak.

I know exactly how you feel about missing those ladies because not a time goes by when I quilt that I don't think of and miss you.